Is “Confused” one of these “4 Cs” I keep hearing about?!
It’s quite understandable how people can get confused when choosing a diamond. One person says this, another says that. And before you know it you’re lost in a whole universe of options!
At The Ethical Diamond Company, we want everyone to be able to enjoy the beauty and majesty of diamonds! But without the prohibitive costs, without the ethical issues associated with the diamond mining industry. And definitely without confusion!
So, here is a short guide to the “4 Cs” relevant when choosing a diamond:
- Cut: ranging from excellent to poor, the cut is basically the amount of sparkle you can see in the refraction of light through the diamond. An excellent cut (also sometimes called an ideal cut, depending on the laboratory grading the stone) will reveal facets that allow light to shine through the stone to the maximum extent possible. Ethical Diamonds feature only “excellent/ideal” and “very good” cuts, so you’re in safe hands already here!
- Colour: a bit of a misnomer, this, as the top grade diamonds are colourless! The grading for colour starts at D and goes down the alphabet, so a D is colourless and a K will have yellowy colouring.
- Clarity: this goes from “internally flawless” to diamonds with inclusions that can appear as black marks, clouds or white feather marks under the jeweller’s microscope but are often not visible to the naked eye.
- Carat: the diamond’s weight, so basically its size.
The four Cs all combine to determine the overall beauty and price of the diamond, so a diamond with large carat size but poor cut and colour will be less expensive than a smaller one with excellent cut and clarity, for example.
And if you’re still confused… just give us a shout, it’s what we’re here for! We’ll help you find what you’re looking for!
- Phone: +44 (0) 7941 045 220
- Email: email@example.com
Questions/comments? Please feel free to post!